Thursday, September 10, 2009

And the Oscar Goes To






When people think about all of the work that goes into movies, they rarely think about all of the pre-production research. For the most part, I would hypothesize that everyone thinks it’s all about the writers, actors, producers, and directors. Of course nods are given to production and design at Oscar time. Well, Harry Potter has yet to win an Oscar, and I do wonder if they are going to hold out and do what they did for the LOTR series, which is give awards to the last film rather than the earlier ones because it is a series-franchise-thing. I’ve been thinking about this because I came across these awesome links/images/documents that I want to share today. I’m officially casting in my ballot for Nicholas Saunders and the design team behind Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.










Thanks to the Creative Review, which I think is an online magazine of some kind, I was able to view the images created by Saunders and others concerning the joke shop. Here’s what Saunders says, "I worked in the graphic design department for the film under the watchful gaze of senior graphic artists Miraphora Mina and Eduardo Lima – and alongside fellow assistant graphic artist Lauren Wakefield," Saunders explains. "It was just the four of us who created packaging for this
particular set but this work here is just the stuff that I personally designed.” […] “I was briefed to work on the Weasleys’ Wizarding Wheezes originally," Saunders continues. "I was also asked to come up with a number of names for more products (such as Anti Gravity Hats) to adorn the shelves. Then after the product names were approved and cleared I used the names as a base to start the designs. When the boxes were ready they were printed on mass up to 400 then they were placed on boxes of all different shapes and sizes. Then after this stage the set dressers took them to fill three storeys of shop shelves in the shop on the Diagon Alley set.”

No comments: